Steve Lawson preached a most memorable sermon on 7 qualities of the Word of God at the 2015 Inerrancy Summit. Take the time to listen to his sermon; you will be so encouraged! His sermon outline was basically a quick exposition of the texts below explaining how the Word is described in the Bible. Since then I have been praying through the outline and scripture texts for different situations and people on my prayer list. I have found it faith-building and soul-strengthening to pray through these scriptures as I bring my requests to the Lord. I hope you'll be encouraged too!
As you pray consider the Word and its ability to work on a heart:
- It is a sword. Hebrews 4:12-13: 12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
- It is a mirror. James 1:23-24: 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was.
- It is a seed. 1 Peter 1:23: 23 for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.
- It is milk. 1 Peter 2:2: 2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,
- It is a lamp. Psalm 119:105: 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
- It is a fire. Jeremiah 23:29: 29 “Is not My word like fire?” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock?
- It is a hammer. Jeremiah 23:29: 29 “Is not My word like fire?” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock?